GED Test Information
The Tests of General Educational Development (GED Tests) measure the outcomes of a four-year program of secondary school education in the United States and Canada, using the most up-to-date, widely used secondary school curriculum standards and standardized assessment practices available.The current GED Tests cover the core academic areas of language arts-reading, language arts-writing, social studies, science, and mathematics. GED candidates are required to compose a timed essay on an assigned topic as part of the Language Arts-Writing Subtest. At present, the test is still a paper and pencil version; however, the new computerized version of the test is scheduled for implementation in 2014. At that time, the cost of taking the exam is projected to more than double.
Registering to take the GED Tests
Registration is done only at one of our four adult education centers. At present, you are required to have a minimum score of 410 on each of the five (5) subject area tests and an overall score of 2250 are required to pass the 2002 Series GED Tests. The test material will gain difficulty, and the minimum score will likely increase on the new computerized version of the test in 2014.
- 18 years of age or older
- 16 - 17 years of age with a permission form from your area superintendent. (Attendance in GED Prep class is highly recommended to receive a waiver.) Anyone needing special accomodations for testing should contact the GED Testing Office at Viera at (321) 633-1000 X 377.
To register, you must have the following documentation:
- Completed GED Demographics Form
- Viewing GED Video or signed waiver
- Completed Brevard County GED Application
- Florida driver's license or State of Florida ID
- Copy of Social Security Card
- Money order to cover $70 testing fees made payable to School Board of Brevard County
Candidates who do not receive a diploma on the initial testing may retest in the unsatisfactory areas. A new application fee of $14 per test is required.
You must have a Florida picture ID to take the test. Testing begins promptly at 4:45 PM. Registration Deadlines for testing are two (2) weeks prior to test date. Seating is subject to availability.
Test dates in 2013
- May 22 and 23>
- June 12 and 13>
- July 10 and 11
- August 7 and 8
- August 21 and 22
- September 18 and 19
- October 2 and 3
- October 23 and 24
- November 6 and 7
- November 20 and 21
Note: Dates are subject to change.
For more information about seat availability for upcoming test dates or to register, contact a center near you. You may also call the GED Testing Office in Viera for seating availability information only at 633-1000 ext. 377 weekdays, 11:30 AM to 4:30 PM.